What The Tabloids Said About Liam Gallagher In 1996
NB: all deleted expletives have been reinstated in this full-strength selection
- 3 April - Trouble on tour in Europe. The Daily Mirror reports that "wild man Liam Gallagher rowed with managers, swore at onlookers and even slagged off his own band in a drunken foul-mouthed outburst". The paper catalogues Liam's "trial of havoc" in his £200-a-night suite at the Park Hotel in Grenoble: "A glass lamp lay shattered on the floor, a TV was upside down, a table was smashed." However, the report also includes comment from the hotel's head porter: "We have a lot of rock groups staying here. We have had no more trouble with Oasis than we did With Demis Roussos."
- 5 August - 'Oasis Rant At DJ Evans', reports The Sun. The band were said to be "fuming after carrot-topped Chris joked that Liam's fiancee Pasty Kensit, 28, was pregnant" and during their Loch Lomond gig they 'unleashed an astonishing foul-mouthed attack' on him. Provocatively, Liam said, onstage: "Oi, twatty face. She's not fucking pregnant, so shut it, you ginger bastard. You're fucking getting it. Come back stage and meet me, you fucking ginger bastard." Evans is reported to have left before the end of the show.
- 27 August - A week after pulling out of the band's MTV Unplugged show, apparently because of a sore throat, Liam walks out of Heathrow airport minutes before the band are due to leave for Chicago for their US tour. 'Liam Quits', reports The Sun, which also reports that Liam 'insisted he was NOT quitting the band'. Liam says he can't go on tour until he has found a new house: "I am Oasis, I started the Fucking band, I'm mad for it but I have to move house. I can't go looking for a house in America while I'm trying to perform to silly fucking yanks."
- 6 September - 'America sickened by obscene Liam's spitting rampage', reports The Sun after Liam's appearance at the MTV awards show. 'Oasis wildman Liam Gallagher was branded a disgrace last night', the paper continues, adding that 'pop pundits' are of the opinion that he has ruined the band's chances of success in the US by 'swearing and insulting the audience with lewd lyrics, spitting a huge lump of saliva on to the stage, and hurling an open can of beer into the crowd.' Speaking exclusively to The Sun, Liam comments, "I thought the show was shit, but that our performance was outstanding."
- 8 September - 'Devastated' Cerice Blakeley, 25, tell the News of the World of her 'Drug And Sex Hell With Liam'. 'Oasis wildman Liam Gallagher dragged his fiancee on to a roller coaster of sex and drugs then dumped her in tears,' the paper reports. Cerice met Liam in 1992 and it was love at first sight. The pair moved in together and 'their sex was often fuelled by deadly cocaine'. Liam dumped her two years ago.
- 13 September - 'BLOWASIS' is The Sun's front page headline as it announces that 'pop giants Oasis have sensationally split up after a row between Noel and Liam Gallagher erupted into a furious fist- fight'. The paper reports that 'tearful Liam Gallagher rang mum Peggy from the US before the split and told her: "I've had enough-I can't go on. It's just not working - we all want to come home to Manchester. I can't go on and it's a nightmare. We've been fighting a lot."' However, it appeared that 'tense-looking Peggy' had not in fact spoken to the paper. She told reporters, "I have got nothing to say", before scurrying inside her semi.
- 27 October - 'Patsy Gives Boozy Liam The Boot', reports the News of the World. The paper claims Liam refused to take Patsy's calls while he was working on the band's new album at Abbey Road Studios. After trying to get through to him for two hours, she apparently dictated a note saying: "Thanks a lot for you concern. You can shove MTV up your arse. I hope you have a great week shagging birds with your mates and you won't be seeing me again."
- 7 November - 'A girl fan told yesterday how Oasis superstar Liam Gallagher bit her on the nose at a concert,' reports The Sun. Gaynor Simonelli, a 26-year-old nanny, tells the paper that she met Liam at an Ocean Colour Scene gig at the Hammersmith Palais. "He lunged at me with this huge open mouth, screamed 'Aaaarghhh' and bet me on the nose and lip. It made my eyes water. He must have been drinking - or something." Police decided the incident was not worth pursuing.
- 10 November - 'Oasis wildman Liam Gallagher's face was contorted with fury as he rained vicious blows on reporter Sean O'Brien,' say the News of the World, whose journalist confronted the singer with a photo of him with 'a raven-haired beauty'. Liam apparently screamed, "I didn't snog no bird, man!" The paper goes on to the seemingly less important matter of Liam's arrest in Oxford Street hours later on suspicion of possessing cocaine. A 'police source' says, "When officers approached him he had difficulty focusing on them but said, 'It's nothing to do with you. I'm fine. I'm OK.' But they weren't satisfied. They thought he might have been a vagrant."